Florida Lawmakers Agree To Maintain Current Funding Level for Medically Needy Program
As part of a budget deal, Florida legislators last week agreed to maintain current funding levels for the state's Medically Needy program, which provides health coverage to uninsured state residents who have annual incomes too high to qualify for Medicaid, the Miami Herald reports. The program's future had been "uncertain" since legislators said last fall that budget cuts could force the program to end this summer (James, Miami Herald, 5/10). Last year, the state Legislature first eliminated the program, which covers about 25,000 residents, but then renewed it until June 30. Then in late February, a state Senate subcommittee proposed cutting state funding to the program by 25%, from $110 million to $80 million. At the same time, a state House budget committee proposed eliminating the program altogether (Kaiser Daily Health Policy Report, 2/27). State lawmakers last month approved changes to the program that would require beneficiaries to contribute a portion of their health costs, a move that would save the state about $30 million. However, budget officials recently said the state can afford to fully fund the program, which will keep it running in its current state until May 2003 (Twiddy, Tallahassee Democrat, 5/10).
This is part of the Morning Briefing, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.